Devising Your Online Marketing Plan - One Size Does Not Fit All
Your digital marketing strategy will very much depend on your target audience and what you are trying to achieve as a business. Ask yourself: What do I hope to accomplish? How can I make that happen?
Your goals should be whatever it takes to make your business grow. Whether your goals are to make more sales, spreading the news about your company, promoting a discount, having more people visit your website or reducing costs by delivering customer service online - your specific goals will determine what type of online presence you need to accomplish your goals.
Start with your marketing goals. Think how do I want this to turn out, then figure out the steps or actions you need to take to achieve those goals and set a marketing budget that will help you achieve them.
The next step is taking a look at your current situation.
- Think about your target audience, how they behave and which digital marketing mediums they are using.
- What are your current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Perform a competitor review. What are their strengths, weaknesses and what are they doing well.
- What are your current digital assets? website - optimized for desktop and mobile site, social media sites, email campaigns, blogs, webinars, video and podcasts and are they the best digital marketing mediums that will accomplish your specific goals.
- What should be your key focus areas that will help you achieve your business goals?
While developing you digital marketing objectives, your online marketing goals should be:
It is now time to benchmark what you already have and determine what is important for you in terms of achieving your business goals. You need to determine how you are performing right now and use it as a baseline that you can measure increased performance against.
- How many website visitors currently come to your site?
- How many sent emails do people click through?
- What are your current sales?
- How do you rank for key search terms on Google and the other major search engines?
- What areas do I need to improve on to meet my digital markting objectives?
During strategic planning, once you know what you want to achieve and where your customers are, the next step is to determine which digital marketing channels are the best for your target audience and point customers in the right direction.
Setting your marketing budget: In order to determine how much you want to spend, you need to ask yourself how much a new sale, referral, inquiry or lead is worth to you.
Goals, strategies and tactics are defined and we are ready to begin our campaign.
Business should be fun and this is where the fun begins! If we have done our job correctly, we are now ready to implement our digital marketing plan. After the campaign is active it is essential that results are tracked to ensure that you are receiving a solid return on your investment (ROI).
Unlike conventional marketing channels, the great thing about digital marketing is that everything we do is instanly measurable through analytic data.
If one part of a campaign is not working as well as expected, it can easily be tested and improved upon. What pages your visitor viewed, how much time they spent on your site, what search terms visitors are using to find your website, how they manuvered through your navigation funnel, how many conversions you received, what is being said about you on social media or how many people abandoned your shopping cart are all measureable and can be used to ensure your success.